Truth be told, there is absolutely no single knife for everyone. We all require a different set of knives depending on our needs. What’s more, one of the biggest challenges that every chef has to go through is finding the right knife. It may seem like a silly thing but a chef’s knife is crucial to the presentation of the dish. That said, you’d probably go for the chef’s knife. As much as other knives like the serrated knives have a more personalized use, the chef’s knife is good at handling difficult tasks, for instance, cutting pineapples. When it comes to buying a chef’s knife, there are two types you need to consider: The Japanese or German knife. Most knives actually combine concepts from these two types but they are different from each other. While the German knife is heavy and thick, the Japanese knife is light and as sharp as a razor. Additionally, the German knife has a thick and curved blade but the Japanese knife has a straight edge with a thin blade.
The best way to test a chef’s knifeBefore giving you a list of recommended chef knives, we’ve personally tested them to ensure they are good for use. For starters, our team of professionals tests the knives in a Lab setting to find the best kitchen knives in the market. During this time, we test if the knives would be effective in a home setting and if the knives will maintain a certain edge after a couple of slicing. We also check for the comfort of the grip and how the overall experience is when using these knives. Definitely, one of the key things we look for is a knife that would easily cut through meat with as little effort as possible. The most outstanding qualities that seemed to stand out when we tested these knives is how the handles felt in our hands and how heavy the knife is. As much as the heavy knife gave us more control when slicing, it also started to feel heavy. On the other hand, the lighter knife could slice quickly and thinly without putting so much weight on the hand. So, without further ado, let’s take a look at the top 5 chef’s knives.
Top 5 Chef’s Knives in the Market today
1. Best Chef’s knife overall- The 8-inch Wüsthof chef’s knifeThis German blade took the lead in our tests and passed with flying colors. The Wüsthof chef’s knife is designed to feel light in your hands but at the same time, sharp and effective. The best part about the Wüsthof knife is the fact that its ergonometric design gives you that flawless feel when you slice through any veggies or meat. What’s more, it’s dishwasher safe which is a rare quality, especially in the cutlery industry.
2. Best knife for Beginner Chefs-The Hammer Stahl Chef knifeAre you new to chef knives? Well, if yes, then this is the best knife for you. Hammer Stahl’s unique holster makes it easy to hold while maintaining the Comfortability. In fact, it guides your hands showing you exactly what to do. The handle is designed in a way that it sits directly at the centre of your arm hence making the knife an extension of it. The Hammer Stahl Chef knife is created using premium quality German carbon stainless steel which gives it that extra edge to cut through almost any task with ease. This knife features a lifetime warranty against any defects in the material or workmanship. What else would you ask for?
3. Best Priced Chef’s knife- J.A. Henckels Chef’s knifeThis classic chef’s knife is well-shaped for performance at a fair price for everyone. Its design offers durability while not compromising its performance. More importantly, the J.A. Henckels Chef’s knife is large-sized at 8 inches for multipurpose use. The full bolster has the right weight and ensures safety. This piece also comes with a lifetime warranty.
4. The Sharpest Chef’s knife- Global Santoku knivesAside from their silver-like finish, these knives are branded as the sharpest in the market today. The Santoku knives are also made out of stainless steel. Therefore, there are no crevices anywhere on the knife. Meaning food cannot get trapped in the knife. To add to that, the blade has notches around the edges which prevents veggies from sticking on the knife. More to that, the knife is good at slicing through meat.
5. The best multipurpose knife- Victorinox Chef’s knifeWell, if you are looking for a multipurpose chef knife, this is the ideal knife for you. The Victorinox Chef’s knife is effective for both home and professional use. What’s more, the knife is expertly crafted to cut with ease and still maintain its efficiency.
Choosing The Right Chef’s knifeEven before going to shop for a chef’s knife, you need to know what to look for. And, with that in mind, here’s what you should consider:
- Bolster: this is a term used to describe how the blade enters the handle. There are thousands of ways through which the bolster can differentiate. Some are straight while others are angled. Angled bolster will give you a better grip while straight angles give you more control.
- Handle: without a doubt, handles are usually different in each knife. But it’s a vital trait since it attaches to the blade. From wood composite, plastic to metal. Each of these materials has a different effect on your grip.
- Tang: when the tang is full, it will help improve the balance since the blade runs through the handle.